Aggressive & Experienced Attorneys Taking On Life Insurance Companies
Life insurance policies and annuities promise financial security after a loved one dies. Unfortunately, insurance companies often deny life insurance claims and break their promise to provide you the life insurance benefits you thought you had secured. Insurance companies have a financial incentive to collect premiums and either not pay benefits or pay less in benefits, which will increase their bottom line. This conflict of interest can motivate insurance companies to improperly deny your life insurance claim.
McKennon Law Group PC in Newport Beach, California, specializes in litigating and resolving bad faith and ERISA life insurance claim disputes for individuals and businesses. We have represented clients in thousands of disability insurance, life insurance, health insurance and bad faith insurance matters. You get experience and reliability with our insurance litigation attorneys.
Making Sure Insurers Take Responsibility
Life insurance companies often all use the same tactics to issue improper denials. The insurance company will review the application forms and premium payments. They may:
- Allege that the application contains a misstatement or “material flaw” and cancel or rescind the policy. This may be improper, based on what an agent told the policyholder or because the representation was not material or mistakenly incorrect.
- Impose a requirement for eligibility that was not clearly delineated in the policy or interpret an ambiguous term in its favor.
- Deny coverage on the basis that the life insurance policy has lapsed.
Generally, insurers must notify the policyholder (and a designee, if specified) of an upcoming lapse and offer a 60-day grace period. If the insurer failed to provide adequate notice, the lapse may be improper, and a denial issued on this basis must be overturned. An insurance company that improperly denies life insurance claims may be acting in bad faith or abusing its discretion.
We Will Not Let Life Insurers Take Advantage of You
Here are some areas in which our attorneys can help:
- Recovery and damages for insurance bad faith: If your insurance company acted in bad faith, you can bring a lawsuit for your policy benefits owed, plus emotional distress damages, consequential damages, attorneys’ fees, pre-judgment interest and punitive damages.
- Individual life insurance: If the life insurance policy or annuity was purchased from the insurance company without employer involvement, you might be entitled to recover not only the life insurance and annuity proceeds, but also bad faith damages.
- ERISA-governed life Insurance: If the life insurance policy or annuity was obtained through an employer, the policy or annuity is most likely governed by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974. As a result, you can sue for policy benefits, attorneys’ fees and interest due on the unpaid benefits.
Because of our aggressive advocacy and our regional and national reputation, we can achieve maximum settlements and trial judgments/verdicts for our clients.
For more information, please see our Life Insurance FAQs, ERISA FAQs, and Life Insurance Bad Faith.
We Have the Experience, So Call Now
With more than 60 years of insurance claims legal experience, the attorneys at McKennon Law Group PC represent clients in disputes with insurance companies in California and nationwide. Nationally recognized, we have helped hundreds of clients obtain their improperly denied life insurance benefits. We provide free initial consultations. Please fill out this free consultation form or call 1-800-682-4137.