The United States District Court for the Central District of California has approved the highest billing rate ever allowed by a California Court for ERISA insurance matters for McKennon Law Group’s founding partner, Robert McKennon. The court approved Mr. McKennon’s billing rate based on his strong experience and expertise in litigating ERISA and bad faith insurance matters, stating: “[G]iven Mr. McKennon’s extensive experience in ERISA matters, it seems reasonable that he would command fees on the high end for attorneys practicing in this area of law.” The court made the following findings in allowing the billing rate:
- Mr. McKennon has been practicing law in California for 27 years.
- He has spent the majority of that time litigating insurance cases, including ERISA-regulated group disability claims.
- Mr. McKennon has litigated ERISA disability cases on behalf of claimants as well as ERISA plan and claim administrators and fiduciaries.
- He has handled hundreds of ERISA insurance litigation matters, most of which involved claims for disability insurance benefits.
- Mr. McKennon [is] an expert in ERISA and bad faith disability insurance litigation cases.
- He has served as a speaker at local and national conferences concerning ERISA issues, and has authored several ERISA insurance articles.
- He has also been recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer in insurance coverage matters from 2010 through 2013.